| Welcome to our Landmark Building, The Sage House
Sage House was built in 1913 as the home of the Russell Sage Foundation, the philanthropic organization named in honor of the railroad tycoon, politician, and Wall Street financier. The Foundation's purpose was the study of social issues and improved living conditions in the United States. Prominent architect Grosvenor Atterbury designed the building in the style of a Florentine Renaissance palace incorporating vaulted ceilings and a red sandstone facade with carved decorative shields. The two top floors were devoted to the Foundation's social work library, one of the finest libraries of its type. The Archdiocese of New York purchased the building in 1949 to house the offices of Catholic Charities. In 1975, the building was converted to residential use.
Gramercy Park neighborhood
4 Lexington Avenue, (corner of 22nd St.)
New York, NY 10010